Super Cruise is a hands-free driving assistance system developed by Cadillac that allows for semi-autonomous driving on certain divided highways in the United States and Canada. As of my last update in September 2021, here are the general steps on how to use Super Cruise on a Cadillac equipped with this feature. Please note that the specific instructions may vary depending on the model year and software updates, so it’s essential to refer to the vehicle’s owner’s manual for the most up-to-date information.
1. Check compatibility: Ensure that your Cadillac model is equipped with Super Cruise. Not all Cadillac vehicles have this feature, and it might be available as an optional package.
2. Enable Super Cruise: To activate Super Cruise, you’ll typically need to press the Super Cruise button located on the steering wheel. The icon usually depicts a steering wheel with the words “Super Cruise” beneath it.
3. Find appropriate roads: Super Cruise is designed for use on divided highways with defined on-ramps and off-ramps. The system utilizes a combination of GPS, sensors, and mapping data to determine if the road is suitable for autonomous driving.
4. Set the speed: Once on a compatible road, use the cruise control buttons on the steering wheel to set your desired speed. The Super Cruise system will control your speed and maintain a safe following distance from other vehicles.
5. Be attentive and ready to take over: While Super Cruise allows for hands-free driving, you must remain attentive and ready to take over control of the vehicle if needed. Pay attention to the road, traffic conditions, and any alerts from the system.
6. Use the Driver Attention System: Super Cruise employs a Driver Attention System (DAS) with a small camera mounted on the steering column that monitors the driver’s attention. Ensure that you are facing forward and not engaging in activities that may distract you from the road.
7. Follow the system prompts: Super Cruise may provide alerts or prompts if it encounters situations beyond its capabilities or if it requires you to take over control. Follow these instructions promptly and safely.
8. Exiting Super Cruise: When you need to exit Super Cruise, you can either press the Super Cruise button again or apply the brakes. The system will disengage, and you will resume full manual control of the vehicle.
Remember that Super Cruise is not a fully autonomous driving system, and you should always stay engaged and aware of the road conditions while using it. Always be prepared to take control of the vehicle at any moment. If you have any doubts or questions, consult your vehicle’s owner’s manual or contact your local Cadillac dealership for more information on using Super Cruise for your specific model year.